- Arapahoe Basin, fondly known by “locals” as A-basin, ABay, and The Legend
- Founded by Max and Edna Dercum (yep the same Dercums that founded Keystone) in 1946, Arapahoe Basin is one of Colorado’s oldest ski areas.
- A-basin is known for its extended seasons, often kicking off the season in October and remaining open until early July.
- With its summit tickling the clouds at 13,050, A-basin is surpassed only by Telluride’s Palmyra Peak (13,320 ft) and Silverton Mountain (13,487) in terms of highest in-bounds skiable terrain.
- The 1st Poma Lift in the US was installed at A-Basin in 1953
A-Basin is easily my favorite of the ski resorts along the I-70 corridor and definitely ranks up there with some of my favorite hills. Challenging terrain, low-key clientele “that just want to ski”, and spectacular views of Keystone, Breck, and the Continental Divide. Felt like an escape from the hustle and bustle of springbreakers (aka “Texas Week”) and was a legendary start to my “weekend”.